ADVERTISEMENT NO. 03/2019
Indira Gandhi Centre for Atomic Research (IGCAR), Kalpakkam is a premier research institute dedicated to the development of robust fast reactor technology based on intense multi-disciplinary research. IGCAR is empowering young, talented and motivated students to contribute to path-breaking discoveries in frontier areas of engineering/scientific research and cutting-edge technologies by offering Junior Research Fellowships in the areas of physical, chemical and engineering sciences.
At IGCAR, we believe in ‘EXCELLENCE WITH RELEVANCE’. Our strengths are the highly stimulating and scholarly environment, knowledge and motivating faculty, excellent library and state-of-the-art facilities.
Applications are invited from interested students for the award of Junior Research Fellowships at this Centre.
Among the selected candidates, those who join with M.Sc./M.Tech. will be eligible to register for Ph.D. Those who join with B.E./B.Tech./B.Sc. Engg./B.Sc. [Tech.] will be considered for integrated Ph.D. with an option to have a single degree(Integrated Ph.D. only) or a dual degree(M.Sc.(Engg.)+Ph.D.).
Candidates will register in Homi Bhabha National Institute (HBNI, a deemed to be University of Department of Atomic Energy).
NO. OF FELLOWSHIPS: 30 (Indicative)
LAST DATE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATION: 20/05/2019
AREAS OF RESEARCH PROJECTS
Investigations on the behavior of materials at low temperatures, high pressures and magnetic fields to explore novel properties of materials, Investigations of defect properties of solids using ion beams and positrons, Computer simulations of material properties; Studies on surfaces, coating, and nanomaterials, and exploration of materials for sensors and detectors. Soft condensed matter.
Chemical thermodynamics, Solid state, and high-temperature chemistry, Electrochemistry, Spectroscopy and laser, Radiochemistry, Advanced separation techniques, Actinide Chemistry, Trace / ultra-trace analytical techniques synthesis and characterization of nano-ceramics and Chemical Sensors.
Robotics and Development of Intelligent machines, Thermal Hydraulics and Structural Mechanics, Design of critical components, Modeling studies, Safety Analysis, Wireless networking, Parallel Computing, Embedded, and Simulator systems, Non-destructive Evaluation and Reliability, Development of new engineering materials, Experimental and computational studies in (i) novel processing and fabrication methods, (ii) mechanical behavior, (iii) damage tolerance and crack growth and (iv) structure and properties.
The Centre also encourages high-quality inter-disciplinary research in areas relevant to its programmes.
The candidate must be an Indian national. The candidate should be less than 28 years of age as on last date for receipt of application. A relaxation of up to 3 years in case of Other Backward Class applicants, 5 years in age can be given in case of Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe applicants and 10 years in case of Persons with disabilities applicants.
NOTE: ONLY SSC/MATRICULATION/HSC CERTIFICATE OR BIRTH CERTIFICATE WILL BE ACCEPTED AS PROOF OF DATE OF BIRTH, NO SUBSEQUENT REQUEST FOR CHANGE SHALL BE ENTERTAINED.
For all the categories listed below:
- Candidates should have a consistently good academic record and should have secured a minimum of 55% aggregate at graduation and post graduation levels from a recognized University.
- Candidates those who have completed or pursuing (in final year/semester) the qualifying degrees are eligible to apply
- Candidates in the final year/semester should have scored marks above 55% aggregate until the previous semester/year and a minimum aggregate of 55% in B.Sc./B.E./B.Tech. level [in the case of M.Sc./M.Tech. candidates]. In case such candidates eventually join the Centre, they shall have acquired aggregate marks of 55% in the qualifying degrees. Relevant certificates to this effect should be submitted at the time of joining the Centre. Wherever the results are declared as CGPA/GPA, it may be converted to a percentage and entered. (The formula prescribed by the Institute for conversion to be indicated at the time of verification)
Category – A
Category – B
M.Tech / M.E in Nuclear Engineering / Nuclear Science & Technology
Category – C
B.E./B.Tech./B.Sc. Engg./B.Sc. [Tech.]. in any one of the following disciplines with a valid GATE score
- Chemical Engineering
- Computer Science Engineering
- Electronics and Communication Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Materials Science & Engineering
- Materials Technology
- Engineering Physics
Category – D
Candidates with M.Tech.
- Admission to M.Tech. should be on the basis of GATE score (A certificate from institution to the effect that admission to M.Tech. was based on GATE score should be submitted at the time of interview)
- The GATE Score should be in any one of the disciplines mentioned in Category C
- Should have their B.E./B.Tech./B.Sc. Engg./ B.Sc. [Tech.] degree in any one of the disciplines listed in Category C.
Candidates with the following qualifications are not eligible to apply
- Bachelors degree in Aerospace, Automobile, Production, Industrial Production, Reliability, Ceramics, Architecture, Geology, Mining, Bio-Medical Engineering, Bio-Medical Electronics/Instruments, Communication, Information Technology, Dyes & Dye Intermediates, Electrochemical, Energy Systems, Oils & Fats, Paints & Varnishes, Petrochemicals, Plastics, Paper, Sugar Technology, Textiles, Mechatronics
- B.Tech degree in Chemical Engineering under the category of petroleum, polymer, sugar, oil, soap technology etc.,
- Master of Computer Applications, M.Sc. in Computer Science.
- M.Sc. in Polymer, Medicinal, Pharmaceutical, Bio chemistry, Environmental and Industrial Chemistry
At the time of application candidates should clearly indicate the details qualifying examinations (GATE/UGC-CSIR-NET/JEST) listed as above for consideration of application and submit the proofs at the time of interviews
Applications will be scrutinized and suitability of candidates will be decided on the basis of their academic performance.
Suitable candidates under the Category A & B will be selected based on WRITTEN EXAMINATION and INTERVIEW. Written Examination will be held on 09/06/2019 (Sunday) at Chennai. Based on the number of applications received from various regions, Centres may be increased and the same will be intimated through call letter.
A summary scrutiny of the application would be made for short-listing of candidates for the written examination and detailed scrutiny of the eligibility of the candidate would be done at the time of interview. Candidate fulfilling the eligibility criteria can plan to attend the written examination.
Candidates from Category A, satisfying any of the following conditions are exempted from written examination:
- With valid UGC-CSIR-NET Fellowship (SLET/Lecturership is not eligible)
- With valid JEST score of 90 percentile and above
- With a valid GATE score after Master’s degree
There will be no written examination for all the candidates in Category C & D and candidates would be shortlisted based on GATE score.
The Selection Interview for all short listed candidates will be conducted at Kalpakkam/Chennai. The recommendation/decision of the Selection Committee will be final and binding.
HOW TO APPLY ONLINE
- Facility for submission of online application will be available from 01/05/2019 at 1000 hours to 20/05/2019 1700 hours on website of IGCAR i.e. www.igcar.gov.in under the tab “Recruitment”.
- Applications will be accepted only through online mode. Only one application should be submitted for one Discipline. Candidates should submit separate application for each discipline, if they intend to apply for more than one discipline.
- Candidate should read the instructions in the advertisement and online application form carefully before making any entry or selecting any option.
- Before filling application form, candidates should keep ready the necessary documents / certificates required. Candidate is required to fill up personal details and details of discipline applied for etc. and upload recently taken front facing passport size photograph in JPEG format with size not exceeding 50 KB and signature in JPEG format with size not exceeding 20 KB. Photograph not in conformity with the specification shall render the application liable to be rejected. While filling up the online application form candidates should ensure that all the required details are entered.
- A valid e-mail ID and Mobile Number is mandatory for submitting application online and email ID should be kept active till the declaration of results. IGCAR will send call letter for Written Examination / Interview to the registered / given e-mail ID or candidates may be required to download from the website of IGCAR. No correspondence will be sent through post/courier.
- The candidate must ensure that their photo and signature is clearly visible in preview at the time of filling application in online mode. If photo / signature displayed is small or not visible in preview on website, that means photo / signature is not as per the required format and in that case the application will be rejected. Therefore candidates must ensure that photo and signature are clearly visible.
- Before clicking the submit button, the candidate is advised to check that all the details filled in are correct. Candidate may also ensure that name, date of birth, etc. are entered correctly in the application form as per Secondary School Certificate (SSC). Any incorrect information may disqualify candidature. After final submission of application no request for change / correction in any of the information in the application form shall be entertained under any circumstances.
Candidates will not be allowed to appear for the Written Examination if they fail to bring the hall ticket and a valid photo identity card (such as Voter ID, Driving License, AADHAAR Card, Passport, College ID) in original at the time of Written Examination.
Read full advertisement before applying online at http://www.igcar.gov.in/recruitment/Advt03_2019.pdf